From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine not booting properly: profile.env cannot execute binary file
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 05:38:16
1 On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 6:28 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 > My machine went feral which resulted in me having to kill the
5 > power to kill it. Upon reboot everything looked good, fsck did it's job,
6 > [ok]'s scrolled up the screen etc and then I got the login prompt. I
7 > entered my username & password and then the fun began.
8 >
9 > I got:
10 >
11 > -bash: .: /etc/profile.env: cannot execute binary file
12 >
13 > If I tried any command, say ls, I got:
14 >
15 > -bash: ls: no such file or dir
16 >
17 > I've now rebooted the machine using a relatively recent
18 > sysrescueCD and had a look at profile.env and it's binary but I thought it
19 > should have been text!!!! In the top line or so it mentions "ld" for some
20 > reason. I checked the same file on the boot disk and it's text. One or two
21 > I found on line are also text.
22 >
23 > Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on here? Should I
24 > just grab the profile.env from the boot disk and drop it into the /etc dir?
25 > Or should I go through the whole process of chroot off a gentoo disc and
26 > then run env-update as it says in the header of the text versions I'v seen?
27 >
28 > Thoughts greatly appreciated,
29 >
30 > Andrew