From: "holla.net@×××××.com" <holla.net@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Upgrade using binary packages
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:31:18
1 Hello,
2
3 I have an underpowered system which runs mythtv. On this
4 there are two partitions one the active and the other spare.
5 Both can boot into mythtv . As this system is running a
6 2005.October snapshot, i want to do an upgrade using almost
7 all binary packages.
8
9 My approach was something like this..
10
11 1. On a i686 machine generated the binary packages using tips
12 from this list..
13
14 2. Boot into the spare partition and set PKGDIR in make.conf
15
16 3. Do a portage sync to 2006.1 and start 'emerge -K' of the
17 packages for the 'system' target
18
19 4. For 'bash' the error missing symbol glibc-2.4.3 .... occurs
20 So thinking that glibc must be emerged first, I restart the
21 whole process (including copying the active partition to the
22 spare one) then emerge glibc as the first package.
23
24 5. Almost at the end of the glibc emerge , 'Illegal instruction'
25 errors start appearing...sweet
26
27 I understand that a stage3 tarball is essentially a binary upgrade.
28 But using this method I thought I could do an incremental upgrade.
29
30 So what is wrong with this approach ?
31
32 regards
33 sathish