From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage getting slicker?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 02:04:01
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > > Ah excellent point, but the build did not move forward with::
7 > > ' emerge -uvDN world' either. With the --tree it did move forward with
8 > > the build update. In the first attempt usually the packages to be built
9 > > are listed, conflicts or blockers.
10
11 > But you didn't run
12 > emerge -uvDN world
13 > You ran
14 > emerge -uvDNp world
15 > why won't move forward, ever
16
17 Nope.
18
19 I ran 'emerge -uvDNp world'
20 and then 'emerge -uvDN world'
21 No point delineating that detail, or so I thought
22
23 > > None of these 3 packages where listed in the first attempt to see
24 > > what needs to be built::
25 > > Not 'sys-devel/llvm', nor 'sys-devel/clang', nor 'media-libs/mesa'.
26
27 > >>>>>> Emerging (1 of 3) sys-devel/llvm-3.7.1-r3::gentoo
28 > >>> I did nothing manual in between. Explanations?
29 > >> portage is doing what's expected. You don't have -a in the command line
30 > >> and there's nothing stopping portage from moving forward with the build.
31 > >> SO it moved forward with the build.
32 > >
33 > > Yes, nothing to do with 'media-libs/jasper' nor 'gdk-pixbuf'. So I guess the
34 > > --tree option got rid of the these (conflicts issues. My point is that this
35 > > is remarkably better than how things worked in the past (but not certain
36 > > when these enhancements were made).
37 >
38 > But you introduced two significant changes in you command line
39 > removed -N
40 > added -t
41
42 > It's unsurprising you got different behaviour
43
44 true, but the -u was in both and a complete different set of
45 packages was considered, by portage, and only one was able to
46 move forward (note the -p was not in the second entry, despite
47 my not including that detail).