From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Skype now will only work with pulseaudio?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 14:11:06
1 On 22 June 2014 21:51, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 22/06/2014 18:53, Mick wrote:
4 >
5 > > Are you using PA and how would you suggest I go about installing and
6 > > configuring it (if I must) for minimal interference with my audio usage?
9 > Why don't you rather peg skype at the last version know to work with
10 > alsa, and mask everything newer?
11
12 I could do just that, but for how long? Eventually, older version(s)
13 of skype could/would break and I will then be forced to upgrade.
16 > If it were me, I'd switch to PA because I wanted to, not because skype
17 > made me. And I don't think you'd be running any additional security risk
18 > - skype is rather likely to be riddled with bugs that never get fixed
19 > anyway...
20 >
21 > OK, my cynic side is showing, but you get the drift
22
23 I've switched to PA and I'm now rebuilding umpteen packages inc.
24 firefox and chromium! O_o
25
26 The switch was mostly successful, except for:
27
28 After a reboot all worked fine and the pulseaudio migration appeared
29 to be uneventful. The morning after things went sideways. The HDMI
30 sound device was selected as the default audio and not analogue sound
31 was available. For some reason the default beep was loud enough to
32 wake up the neighbours! PCM, headphones and other controls had
33 disappeared and some new monitor-* controls were available.
34
35 This was fixed by adding:
36
37 load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0
38 load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
39
40 in /etc/pulse/default.pa
41
42 I have not yet tried the microphone in Skype to see if the above combo
43 is correct. This is what aplay and arecord show:
44 ============================================================
45 $ aplay -l
46 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
47 card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: 92HD73C1X5 Analog [92HD73C1X5 Analog]
48 Subdevices: 0/1
49 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
50 card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
51 Subdevices: 1/1
52 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
53
54 $ arecord -l
55 **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
56 card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: 92HD73C1X5 Analog [92HD73C1X5 Analog]
57 Subdevices: 1/1
58 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
59 card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 2: 92HD73C1X5 Alt Analog
60 [92HD73C1X5 Alt Analog]
61 Subdevices: 1/1
62 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
63
64 $ aplay -L
65 null
66 Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
67 pulse
68 PulseAudio Sound Server
69 default:CARD=MID
70 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
71 Default Audio Device
72 sysdefault:CARD=MID
73 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
74 Default Audio Device
75 front:CARD=MID,DEV=0
76 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
77 Front speakers
78 surround40:CARD=MID,DEV=0
79 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
80 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
81 surround41:CARD=MID,DEV=0
82 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
83 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
84 surround50:CARD=MID,DEV=0
85 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
86 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
87 surround51:CARD=MID,DEV=0
88 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
89 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
90 surround71:CARD=MID,DEV=0
91 HDA Intel MID, 92HD73C1X5 Analog
92 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
93 hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
94 HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
95 HDMI Audio Output
96 ============================================================
97
98 The other thing that puzzled me was that the second jack for the
99 headphones is muted every time I re/start an application and the
100 volume setting is zeroed - e.g.
101
102 I start mplayer - no sound.
103 I unmute the second headphone jack and raise the volume setting - sound is back.
104 I stop and then start again mplayer - no sound.
105 I unmute the second headphone jack - sound is back.
106
107 and so on. I cannot understand why the second jack is muted. The
108 first jack stays unmuted in each case.
109 --
110 Regards,
111 Mick