From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with domainname
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 04:56:09
1 On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:05:13PM -0800, maxim wexler wrote
2
3 > I thought emerging ftpd would be my salvation but that
4 > doesn't work either. How do you start the bleeping
5 > thing. I even ran /usr/sbin/ftpd; it didn't gag but
6 > it didn't start either.
7
8 "man ftpd" (or whatever the package is called) for instructions on how
9 to start it in daemon mode. A WAG from me is "/etc/init.d ftpd start",
10 and remember to use etc-update to put it in your default runlevel.
11
12 That's about all I remember about ftpd, because I've been using ssh
13 for a long time. I strongly recommend switching to ssh. ftp has
14 security issues for all but anonymous ftp. This is due to sending
15 passwords in clear text. ssh has both "scp" and "sftp", either of which
16 will push/pull files. *AND* ssh allows encrypted tunneling *AND* a
17 secure "telnet" shell equivalant. It's better all around.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
21 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list