From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] default CONFIG_PROTECT behavior
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 16:42:12
1 On 06/17/2018 12:17 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > What happens to files within the scope of CONFIG_PROTECT if I don't
3 > execute dispatch-conf or any similar thingy? I have found the confusion
4 > the latter tool generates completely unsurmountable.
5
6 I think the side-by-side merger is very easy for small changes. Most of
7 the time I press z because I don't need the new changes.
8
9 > What I'd prefer is the debian behavior: the package supplied config file
10 > is simply saved under a mangled name (*.dpkg-dist alongside the real
11 > file on debian) and I'm left to merge the changes at my convenience,
12 > with my preferred tools.
13
14 You are free to do that. The files are named alongside the real files,
15 and they start with '._cfg'. Before I knew about dispatch-conf,
16 sometimes I would do:
17
18 for i in ._cfg*; do mv "$i" "${i/._cfg}"; done
21 > So that's my question in a nutshell: after emerge but before
22 > dispatch-conf, where are the new versions of config files?
25 find /etc/ -iname '._cfg*'
26
27 Or what dispatch-conf does:
28
29 find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*' ! -name '.*~' ! -iname '.*.bak' -print
32 Andrew