From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 11:08:38
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Michael wrote:
3 >> On Saturday, 6 August 2022 07:07:26 BST Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Well, that settles that then. I guess it will be Surfshark. Pretty
6 >>> sure it is in the Netherlands but may be wrong on country. I just
7 >>> recall it being outside US jurisdiction. I also read they have been
8 >>> audited by independent people to ensure they have no logs even if asked.
9 >> Surfshark gets good reviews and it offers the wireguard protocol with the
10 >> ChaCha20 cipher for better encryption and performance. However, the
11 >> Netherlands is part of the EU and 14 eyes, so I would think similar state
12 >> powers exist to access your private communications and the ISPs would have no
13 >> way of refusing and staying in business. Surfshark offers a warrant canary,
14 >> but it looks more like a marketing statement to me when you compare it to
15 >> something like the Qubes digitally signed canaries.
16 >
17 > I forgot about the 14 eyes thing.  Do you know of one outside that that
18 > is good?  The bad thing about most, they are pricey if done by the month
19 > for testing.  You only get a good deal if you subscribe for a year or
20 > even two years.  I don't want to subscribe and then find out it is a bad
21 > one.
22 >
23 > Dale
24 >
25 > :-)  :-)
29 I did a quick google search and Surfshark is based in British Virgin
30 Islands and is outside the eyes countries.  I was thinking it was
31 Netherlands but wasn't sure.  When I searched for VPN outside 14 eyes
32 country, Surfshark is highly rated.  Depending on the site, it's in the
33 top few each time.
34
35 https://earthweb.com/vpn-outside-14-eyes/
36
37 https://www.privateproxyguide.com/best-vpn-outside-14-eyes/
38
39 Unless there is some good reason to avoid, still thinking of using it.
40
41 Dale
42