From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] [gentoo-user] Re: [Bulk] Re: Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:18:25
2 > > So are you saying plugs are no longer required or that they are only
3 > > needed for certain apps that take over the audio device.
4 >
5 > I don't even know exactly what ALSA plugs are, and ALSA has worked
6 > perfectly for all these years, so yeah, whatever an ALSA plug is, either
7 > it is not required anymore, or it is handled automagically by ALSA.
8
9 Just did a quick Google to refresh my memory and I used plug:dmix as the
10 device file name in order to prevent apps hogging the sound card.
11
12 From Wikipedia
13
14 "A card's interface is a description of an ALSA protocol for accessing
15 the card; possible interfaces include: hw, plughw, default, and
16 plug:dmix. The hw interface provides direct access to the kernel
17 device, but no software mixing or stream adaptation support. The plughw
18 and default enable sound output where the hw interface would produce an
19 error."
23
24 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
25 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
26 universal interface'
27
28 (Doug McIlroy)