From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 19:10:58
1 2015-09-02 17:23 GMT-03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On 02/09/2015 21:43, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 > > On Wednesday, September 02, 2015 02:19:24 PM Francisco Ares wrote:
5 > >> Hi,
6 > >>
7 > >> Sorry for such WAY out of topic message, but Gentoo users are also way
8 > out
9 > >> of regular computer users.
10 > >>
11 > >> I intend to learn more deep details about networking intrinsics,
12 > (packets,
13 > >> ports, negotiation, UDP, multicast, unicast, TCP, ethernet, DHCP,
14 > >> protocols, and so on) so I decided to recur to this list. Googling the
15 > >> terms, just gets me to network administration and equipment
16 > interconnection.
17 > >>
18 > >> Any hints on web resources for this research?
19 > >
20 > > It would depend on the level you are at now. :)
21 > >
22 > > Generally, I know more than enough about how it all works to do my job
23 > and
24 > > keep my own systems running reliably.
25 > >
26 > > But generally I simply listen when the likes of Alan McKinnon start
27 > talking
28 > > about networking.
29 >
30 > Hey, that's me!
31 >
32 > As it turns out, I got a call last week from an old mate who needed
33 > someone to deliver his 2-day TCP/IP course on short notice. I had 2 days
34 > free anyway so I help out.
35 >
36 > It all went well till we got into the dirty details of TCP header
37 > fields. You know how that stuff works - a whole bunch of fields that we
38 > mostly ignore and concentrate on just the few we know are important.
39 > Anyway, there was me standing in front of a class going down the list.
40 > And all I could think of was "WTF is most of this stuff??? Half of these
41 > fields I've never heard of!"
42 >
43 > There was more fun to come. Someone asked to clarify the exact
44 > differences between unicast, multicast, anycast and any other *cast that
45 > happens to be. Holy cow. Try explain that off the cuff without having
46 > time to think the answer through first :-)
47 >
48 > To the OP:
49 >
50 > Someone suggested RUTE. That's a good one, it may be 14 years old, but
51 > networking basics have not changed. The Linux Network Administrator's
52 > Guide available at tldp.org is also worth reading.
53 >
54 > And then wikipedia too. Technical facts are usually reliable there and
55 > most articles give you nice pictures and tables without assuming you
56 > already know it all anyway.
57 >
58 > Finally you already have Gentoo, which is probably the best tool you
59 > could have to find out such stuff. Read up on a topic, grasp the basic
60 > theory, then follow it all through on Gentoo seeing how the bits fit
61 > together.
62 >
63 > For the full picture in strict technical language, nothing beats the
64 > proper Internet RFCs. They are not for the faint-hearted though.
65 >
66 > I don't want to scare you off but working in spare time it probably
67 > takes something like a year to go from networking user to having a
68 > decent depth of knowledge about it. It's all logical, all the info is
69 > there, and it can be understood. There's just so much of it :-)
73 > > You could start with sites like:
76 > http://web.stanford.edu/class/msande91si/www-spr04/readings/week1/InternetWhitepaper.htm
77 > >
78 > > --
79 > > Joost
83 > --
84 > Alan McKinnon
85 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
89 Thanks, Alan.
90
91 Well, I have noticed that, for the few details I got an eye on, it will
92 take a good time for an deep dive in.
93
94 I will start to look into some RFCs and see how much can be digested. Also,
95 downloaded RUTE to read during lunch, alternating with some RFCs ;-)
96
97 Best Regards,
98 Francisco