From: Xavier Parizet <xav@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] copying the / partition
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:40:32
1 On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 00:33:22 +1000, "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > I wish to move the / partition, and separate /usr into a separate
4 > partition. One reason is to take advantage of a faster 10,000 RPM drive
5 > for
6 > system files.
7 >
8 > I am stuck on one issue (at least): do I need to copy /sys to the new /
9 > partition?
10
11 No need to copy /sys and /proc, they are virtual filesystems filled up by
12 the kernel.
13 You have also to copy /dev, but to do so, you have to reboot into a livecd,
14 as the mounted /dev is filled in by udev in a running system.
15
16 HTH.
17
18 > Thank you for recent help with other issues.
19 >
20 > Alan
21 >
22 > You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but
23 > when
24 > you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the
25 bird...
26 > So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what counts.
27 >
28 > ----Richard Feynman
31 Xavier Parizet
32 YaGB : http://gentooist.com