From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Number of open Bugzilla bugs
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:52:53
1 On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 12:21 PM Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2020-02-11 00:06, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 > >>
6 > >> Nevertheless, thank you for discussing it with me
7 > >>
8 > >
9 > > You're welcome. You're hardly the first person to disagree with me.
10 > > :)
11 > >
12 > > I'm also not in any particular position of power when it comes to how
13 > > bugs are handled. You can always make a proposal to automatically
14 > > close old bugs. I'd probably start with the Bug Wranglers, though you
15 > > could always bring an issue to the Council if you don't feel you're
16 > > getting the desired response there. They've certainly been known to
17 > > disagree with me at times too. :)
18 >
19 > Interesting discussion. To bad that it's over. Not so much from the
20 > technical site, but the different POV's. Michael tries to improve
21 > things, make things better. Rich stays with the common 'it is like it is
22 > and it is good'. An example to the big view:
25 https://web.archive.org/web/20080331092730/http://www.linux.com/articles/60124
26 >
27 > Even if I tend to Michael's side, I don't say Rich is wrong. To me the
28 > truth is in the middle, always.
29
30 Well, ok, a view from the very distant other side. Don't take anything I
31 say as anything other than my opinion which at this point is woefully out
32 of date about Gentoo I'm sure.
33
34 1) I started running Gentoo mid-2001, or possibly 2002. I had been running
35 Redhat, a friend who was a real sys admin type vs me, nothin' but a 'user',
36 said it was great and I should check it out. It wasn't overly difficult to
37 get started but I certainly had my issues, like one time removing my C
38 compiler. Real newbie stuff. However once I got my first machine up and
39 running I was really happy with both the machine and most of all this
40 community which is second to none. In those days getting my first machine
41 really buttoned down was like a 2-3 week event.
42
43 2) For many years my machines ran really well and admin wasn't a big deal.
44 Yes, hours upon hours upon hours of building programs - the Gentoo way -
45 but they usually built. I was always a 'mostly stable' guy, only adding
46 ~arch when I had to. There wasn't a lot of that, at least in the beginning.
47 I remember this being how I ran until about 2016. There were some difficult
48 months, but devs got things fixed pretty fast and I could, for the most
49 part depend that if I had to install an ~arch package that within a month I
50 could probably get back to stable.
51
52 3) From my perspective this lasted until 2015/16/17-ish. However somewhere
53 in there I consistently found two things:
54 1) Getting an arch package back to stable in a timely manner pretty much
55 didn't work anymore. I suspect this is really the other thread here about
56 long term bugs not getting fixed. Why? I don't know. I suspected devs were
57 leaving the distro, but I had no info.
58 2) This is just my opinion but I came to think there was no real
59 __interest__ from the devs still here in purely stable anymore. I remember
60 trying to set up a Virtualbox VM running Gentoo and it almost didn't work.
61 I had to add so many use flags. At that point it just wasn't fun anymore.
62 Throw in that I had 3 machines to deal with at home and it was too much for
63 user type who wasn't having fun.
64
65 4) I tried out a few other distros and pretty quickly focused in on
66 Kubuntu. I've been running it for a couple of years now. Frankly, I can
67 hardly tell the difference from Gentoo when I'm just using the machine.
68 It's fast, it's KDE, it's all I need. I don't know much more than a couple
69 of apt commands to install packages. No update in the 2-3 years I've been
70 using Kubuntu hasn't booted. I don't have any trouble installing the
71 packages I need that in the Gentoo world would have caused me ~arch
72 problems. (Mixbus32C, makemkv, handbrake and other pro-audio type packages)
73 Updates to my machines are on the order of LITERALLY minutes per week, and
74 distribution upgrades, once a year-ish, are on the order of an hour. The
75 machines all seem fast. It's simple.
76
77 I love this list and the people on it. For the most part everyone here has
78 been really great to me over the years and there's no place I'd rather go
79 looking for technical answers. Stack Overflow does tend to be the Ubuntu
80 way these days so lots of little things I need to know I find there. I
81 suspect many Gentoo-ers do also.
82
83 Anyway, it's just an opinion of one guy not representing what state the
84 distribution is in today.
85
86 Mark