From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:40:59
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 >
3 > I suppose you got the idea by now ;-) Do you need dev-lang/R? If
4 > not, then "emerge -pv --depclean dev-lang/R". Do you need the
5 > package(s) that this brings up? If not, continue --depclean those
6 > until you reach something that has no other dependencies; meaning you
7 > reached the top level. Do you need *that*? If not, unmerge it, then
8 > depclean everything (just "emerge -a --depclean".)
9 >
10 > This should get rid of all stuff you don't actually need/want.
14 Well, that leads back to KDE. So, looks like it stays.
17 >>> [...]
18 >>> That is no solution. I highly doubt you need a Fortran compiler :-/ By
19 >>> adding more stuff to your make.conf as a work-around for problems like
20 >>> this, you add more and more stuff to your Gentoo install; stuff you
21 >>> actually have zero use for. By that logic, you could enable every
22 >>> possible USE flag that exists so that you always have everything, just
23 >>> in case. But then you should probably be using openSUSE or something
24 >>> :-P
25 >>>
26 >> Well, it appeared to only affect gcc here. We all know I have to have
27 >> that.
28 >
29 > GCC is a compiler collection. You usually only need gcc and g++.
30 > Fortan, Objective-C, Objective-C++, ADA, Pascal, Java, whatever else
31 > is usually something you don't install unless you know you need it.
34 But gcc is the one that got rebuilt when I changed the USE flag. So, it
35 needs it because the other package needs it and in the end, KDE needs
36 all that stuff. So, the flag is added and I guess it is needed by
37 something I want to keep. Sort of like my GUI and all. ;-)
38
39 Funny thing is, it appears the dev changed it back so after the next
40 sync, I can shorten my USE line by one flag. Progress. lol
41
42 Dale
43