From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Saving an image as black and white
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 13:48:41
1 On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 11:50:35 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
2
3 > I've got a bunch of scans, let's assume they're text documents. And
4 > they're rather big ... I want to email them.
5 >
6 > How on earth do I convert them to TRUE b&w documents? At the moment they
7 > are jpegs that weigh in at 3MB, and I guess they're using about 5 bytes
8 > to store all the colour, luminance, whatever, per pixel. But actually,
9 > there's only ONE BIT of information there - whether that pixel is black
10 > or white.
11 >
12 > I'm using imagemagick, but so far all my attempts to strip out the
13 > surplus information have resulted in INcreasing the file size ???
14 >
15 > So basically, how do I save an image as "one bit per pixel" like you'd
16 > think you'd send to a B&W printer?
17
18 $ convert input.jpg -threshold 50% output.png
19
20 should do it, you may need to play with the threshold setting. The file
21 command reports the output file as being "1-bit grayscale".
22
23 You can also use -monochrome but that will produce a dithered image,
24 that's probably not what you want judging by your description.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?