From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:59:38
1 Hello, Neil.
2
3 On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 02:09:10PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 > Don't forget split infinitives - the construct that is absolutely
6 > forbidden, but no one knows why. I had a production editor who picked me
7 > up every time I used one. I pointed out that that battle was lost as soon
8 > as Star Trek became mainstream.
9
10 I have a theory about this. If you write "we need to thoroughly think
11 this through", what is the verb? It tends to become "to
12 thoroughlythink" rather than "to think". This coupling of adverb and
13 verb into a single word is probably undesirable. Hence, no split
14 infinitives, please.
15
16 For what it's worth, in German, when there's a "zu" (to) in front of an
17 infinitive, it is _never_ separated by even the first part of a
18 separable verb, never mind an adverb.
19
20 > --
21 > Neil Bothwick
24 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).