From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] experience thus far
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 11:41:25
1 On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I am not clear on one thing: is the corruption that you show above *because*
3 > of btrfs, or it would occur silently with any other fs, like e.g. ext4?
4
5 That is something I'm curious about as well as I stumbled on this
6 thread. I've been running btrfs on a 5 drive array set to raid1 for
7 both data and metadata for several months now, and I've yet to see a
8 single error in my weekly scrubs. This is on a system that is up
9 24x7, running mysql, mythtv, postfix, and a daily rsync backup -
10 basically light disk activity at all times, and heavy activity
11 moderately often. The only issue I've had with btrfs is ENOSPC when
12 it manages to allocate all of its chunks (more of a problem on a
13 smaller ssd running btrfs for /), and panics when I try to remove
14 several snapshots at once.
15
16 I'm not sure how easy it would be to test for silent corruption on
17 another fs, unless you tried using ZFS instead, or used tripwire or
18 some other integrity checker. Testing the drive itself would be
19 straightforward if you didn't need to use it in any kind of production
20 capacity - write patterns to it and try to read them back in a few
21 days.
22
23 Rich