From: "Iván Pérez Domínguez" <ivanperezdominguez@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage inconsistency?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:40:44
1 maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > At tail of emerge --sync its says now emerge portage.
5 >
6 > So, emerge portage results in one package being
7 > installed, portage, 61kb.
8 >
9 > emerge -u portage lines up 5 or 6 packages plus
10 > portage, 18Mb.
11
12 Can you tell us the list of packages it reported?
13 (downgrade and run emerge -u again).
14
15 > Went ahead and just did the one package, figuring
16 > later I could do an emerge -u for the rest of it.
17 >
18 > But this is what happens:
19 >
20 > heathen@localhost ~ $ emerge -pv portage
21 >
22 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
23 >
24 > Calculating dependencies... done!
25 > [ebuild R ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.9 USE="-build
26 > -doc -epydoc (-selinux)" LINGUAS="-pl" 0 kB
27 >
28 > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0
29 > kB
30 >
31 > What I expected.
32 >
33 > heathen@localhost ~ $ emerge -puv portage
34 >
35 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
36 >
37 > Calculating dependencies... done!
38
39 That happened to me too with a different package and I thought the same
40 you did.
41
42 >From the man page:
43 "Updates packages to the best version available, which may not always
44 be the highest version number due to masking for testing and
45 development. This will also update direct dependencies which
46 may not be what you want. Package atoms specified on the command line
47 are greedy, meaning that unspecific atoms may match multiple installed
48 versions of slotted packages."
49
50 > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
51 >
52 > So why doesn't it list the upgrade part now?
53 >
54 > Maxim
55
56 Ivan Perez.