From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 3.5 without changing entire system to ~arch?
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:40:52
1 On 11/2/2009 12:16 PM, Marcus Wanner wrote:
2
3 > Could anyone tell me how to install firefox 3.5.x without changing the
4 > entire installation to ~arch? I have been looking around on the web for
5 > how to do this, but can't find anything that doesn't require being
6 > (afaict) very invasive to the rest of the system. Thanks!
7
8 For mozilla specifically, see below.
9
10 In general, you would create a file called /etc/portage/package.keywords
11 (or as I prefer, a directory /etc/portage/package.keywords/ and then a
12 file within that directory), and put the package name in it.
13
14 However, it's generally considered a bad idea to mix and match arch and
15 ~arch on a single system, since the dependencies cascade pretty quickly.
16 You'll eventually end up with the core packages on your system
17 keyworded anyway, which defeats the whole point of running stable.
18
19 > P.S. Mozilla considers this version to be stable/mature and is pushing
20 > out it as the version most people should use. Why hasn't it been marked
21 > as stable in the portage tree yet?
22
23 It may just be an oversight; check bugs.gentoo.org to see if there's
24 already a bug report asking it to be stabilized. If there isn't already
25 one, just file a new one. (It may help to mention that it's stable on
26 amd64 already.)
27
28 --Mike