From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Making a bootable USB flash drive from ISO image
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 23:39:05
1 On 03/10/14 16:19, James wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
6 >> I was also wrong in stating I use isohybrid for the LXFDVDs. I used to
7 >> but since switching to using GRUB to boot the DVDs, there is no need for
8 >> it. GRUB bootable DVD ISOs can boot from USB sticks by default.
9 > Neil,
10 >
11 > Can you elaborate? For example how do you know a given *.iso* is grub
12 > bootable?
13
14 All ISO files are grub2 bootable.
15 however, once booted, they need to be aware to search for the iso file
16 itself as otherwise they search for cdrom/files
17
18 > It there a test? Is there a list? Just burn it to a usbstick
19 > and test?
20 google for grub2 iso bootable mydistro
21 windows boots but gets confused
22 gentoo minimal works fine but you need to pass correct parameters
23
24 > Justuse a tool such as the aforementioned "isohybrid" can convert
25 > any *.iso* to a grub bootable? I like the idea of one image (iso) being
26 > able to install via MBR or grub.
27 >
28 i like to boot ubuntu / gentoo by having various iso files listed and
29 changing grub config
30 > How do you control the file system; set it up first on the target HDD/SDD?
31 > Which tool do you use, as part of the usb package? gptfdisk (gdisk)?
32 download iso
33 tell grub2 about iso location
34 >> That must be a UEFI bootable disc. ISOs can have all sorts of strange
35 >> setups
36 > Your telling me? So when did the gentoo liveDVD become "grub bootable" ?
37 > Again, How do you know what a given images is capable, as the details of
38 > so many seem to poor--> 2----> undocumented......?
39 >
40 > Have you ever tried "pentoo-installer" off of a live gentoo dvd ?
41 > with any usb iso?
44 > curiously,
45 > James
51 hth
52 grub2-mkconfig is a pita but the iso boot by itself redeems itself