From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT?} which fs on 1.8TB partition
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 18:52:26
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday, 6 October 2017 19:12:00 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> I had a large partition with reiserfs.
5 >> Running fsck always failed due to running out of memory.
6 >>
7 >> Partition was quite a bit larger than 2TB (around 6TB) and contained a huge
8 >> (millions) amount of files, but having an fsck become impossible with 16GB
9 >> memory available was rather annoying.
10 >>
11 >> --
12 >> Joost
13 > It should also be noted that reiserfs may be getting some bitrot over the
14 > years. I haven't used it for a while now, but when I converted an old PC from
15 > reiserfs to ext4 it acquired a new lease of life in terms of performance. For
16 > every day personal use I tend to prefer it, although I also use btrfs on a
17 > trial basis.
20 Same here.  When I built my current rig several years ago, I switched to
21 ext4 from reiserfs myself.  At the time, there was very little
22 development and its future was uncertain since the guy that came up with
23 it was shall we say, no longer available.  I haven't looked into it but
24 is it even maintained like it should be or just sitting out there with
25 the occasional patch up by whoever has a few minutes?
26
27 If I were building a new rig today, I don't think I'd even consider
28 reiserfs.
29
30 Dale
31