From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Cannot configure Synaptics Touchpad - Disabling Tapping & synclient
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:56:38
1 Hello.
2
3 I'm having a hell of a time configuring my Synaptics Touchpad. Basically,
4 I'd like to disable the annoying "tapping" feature; with tapping, they
5 mean, that the user shortly "hits" (taps) the touchpad and this is then
6 interpreted as a click. This annoys the hell out of me, as I accidently
7 tap the touchpad when I type something and as a result, I continue to
8 type at the wrong location. Anyway, enough of the whining - I'd like to
9 disable tapping...
10
11 On various places on the internet, like http://linux-on-laptops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112
12 or http://copland.udel.edu/~doke/dell_d810/, I found, that it should be
13 good enough, to add
14
15 Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
16
17 to the Section "InputDevice" in the xorg.conf file. As you can see in
18 my xorg.conf file at <http://askwar.pastebin.ca/453131>, I did that.
19 Nonetheless, I'm sadly still able to use that annoying tapping feature :(
20
21 As this did not work, I tried to use graphical configuration tools
22 like gsynaptics, ksynaptics or synclient to access the touchpad. All
23 of these tools require, that
24
25 Option "SHMConfig" "on"
26
27 is added to the xorg.conf. Instead of "on", I also tried "true", "1"
28 and "yes". None of these work - all the time, when I run one of the
29 aforementioned tools, I get an error message, stating something reg.
30 SHMConfig. For synclient, it is:
31
32 alexander@blattli ~ $ synclient -m 20
33 Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
34
35 I'm using on ~x86:
36
37 alexander@blattli /etc/X11 $ X -version
38
39 X Window System Version 7.2.0
40 Release Date: 22 January 2007
41 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
42 Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.19-suspend2-r3.045 i686
43 Current Operating System: Linux blattli 2.6.19-suspend2-r3.neu.001 #3 Sun Apr 15 11:44:24 CEST 2007 i686
44 Build Date: 19 March 2007
45         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
46         to make sure that you have the latest version.
47 Module Loader present
48
49 Is anyone able to configure a Synaptics Touchpad? If so, any idea
50 what I'm doing wrong?
51
52 Thanks,
53