From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] trouble emerging R and tcltk
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:28:43
1 On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
2 difficulty in emerging R and tcltk in a manner that allows the former to
3 find the latter. On this machine, in R version 2.6.1, the command
4 library(tcltk) elicits the following response:
5 Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
6 Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
7 Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'
8
9 After first encountering this problem, I took the following steps:
10 1. Made sure that installed programs include dev-lang/tcl,
11 dev-tcltk/mysqltcl, dev-tcltk/otcl, dev-tcltk/tcl-debug,
12 dev-tcltk/tcldom, dev-tcltk/tcllib, dev-tcltk/tclperl,
13 dev-tcltk/tclpython, dev-tcltk/tclreadline, dev-tcltk/tclxml,
14 and dev-tcltk/tclxml-expat.
15 2. Verified that tcltk was installed by writing a little file hello.tcl,
16 running the command "tclsh hello.tcl", and observing that the output was
17 correct.
18 3. Removed R by doing "emerge -C R".
19 4. Set a tcltk USE flag for R by appending the line dev-lang/R tcltk
20 to my /etc/portage/package.use file.
21 5. Reinstalled R by doing "emerge R"
22
23 Then I started R and again tried "library(tcltk)". The response was
24 exactly the same before.
25
26 I would be most grateful for suggestions about diagnosing and solving
27 the problem.
28
29 Best regards,
30 John
33 John P. Burkett
34 Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
35 and Department of Economics
36 University of Rhode Island
37 Kingston, RI 02881-0808
38 USA