From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 06:42:48
1 Hello, an addendum without digging up the details ...
2
3 On Tue, 17 Mar 2020, David Haller wrote:
4 >On Tue, 17 Mar 2020, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 >>I've put five Samsung SATA drives into various things in the past few
6 >>years with flawless results. Samsung is one of the big manufacturers
7 >>of flash chips, so I figure they should always end up with 1st choice
8 >>quality chips in their own drives...
9 >
10 >And they produce and use their own controllers, so they additionally
11 >know the ins and outs of those, i.e. they can easily optimize the
12 >whole SSD from Flash-Chip over controller up to the firmware...
13 [..]
14 >AFAIgathered, Samsung is the only one producing the whole product.
15
16 I guess Intel did (still does?) that too, but you'll have to check
17 that, ISTR that Intel now sells SSDs with non-Intel controllers and/or
18 non-Intel/"IM-Flash" flash-chips... Oh, wait, yes, Intel still does,
19 but those "pure Intel" SSDs come with a *very* hefty price (like 4
20 times as much) and all the "normal" priced ones are those with either
21 and/or non Intel flash-chips and/or -controllers... But please go
22 check that yourselves though!
23
24 The second thing I remembered: the german "c't"[2] magazine did a
25 torture test in late 2018 (IIRC), basically grabbing a few then
26 current SSDs and run their own testtool[1] on them until they died. Or
27 so was the plan. That was a "write till it dies" test.
28
29 First of all: all SSD exceeded their specs, some IIRC just barely. The
30 bulk by a factor of 2 or more. ISTR some of those "just barely", but
31 wont name them without digging out the actual results, which I'll do
32 upon requests.
33
34 The test had one problem though: a (IIRC) Samsung 850 Pro just refused
35 to die ;) They aborted the test after something like over 4 months
36 (all other drives had died inside of about a month) of _continous_
37 writes (or write-verify cycles) to that one remaining SSD, which was
38 still happily chugging along...
39
40 I do remember though, that even the Samsung EVO came out at the top of
41 the bunch
42
43 (Note: c't does not award a "test-winner" or anything. Just data and
44 an conclusion aka "Fazit", the reader has to digest the data and make
45 up his own mind for _her/his_ own usecase).
46
47 All IIRC, I can dig out and translate the details though! (and it's
48 month's later followup on what became of that Samsung ;)
49
50 HTH, and please do PM (no need to clog the ML) if you want me to go
51 digging for the details,
52 -dnh
53
54 [1] which name escapes me ATM, but tried and tested since 199[0-5] or
55 so ;)
56
57 [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%27t (that page is sadly woefully
58 outdated)
61 "If you are using an Macintosh e-mail program that is not from Microsoft,
62 we recommend checking with that particular company. But most likely other
63 e-mail programs like Eudora are not designed to enable virus replication"
64 -- http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/office/2001/virus_alert.asp