From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a way to misconfigure USB ports in the kernel?
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 16:01:45
1 Michael,
2
3 On Thursday, 2020-11-26 00:10:00 +0000, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > Check dmesg to see if initialisation of the USB 3.0 drive throws up any
7 > errors.
8
9 No errors.
10
11 > Then check 'lsusb -t' to make sure it has been recognised as a USB
12 > 3.0.
13
14 "lsusb -tv" showed the stick to be USB 3.0.
15
16 > ...
17 > Partitioning the USB drive to use 128KB sectors and
18 > then aligning the fs on it should improve matters.
19
20 Since the USB sticks contain symbolic links and have to be accessible
21 from both, Linux and Windows they are NTFS formatted, and according to
22 "mkntfs(8)" the sector size can be at most 4096, while the cluster size
23 is limited to 2097152, that is 2G. However, when NTFS formatting an USB
24 stick from within TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt or directly in Windows the maximum
25 cluster size is 64K, with the only difference that Windows calls it
26 "allocation unit size".
27
28 So I think above you were talking about 128K clusters rather than sect-
29 ors. I'll give that a try and will reformat the USB sticks using the
30 maximum cluster size of 64K. But I don't see a way to "align" the file
31 system on these USB sticks.
32
33 > I found this article which mentions an experiment with ext4 fs.
34
35 Thanks for the link you sent in your other mail and thanks for pointing
36 all this out :-)
37
38 Sincerely,
39 Rainer