From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] -march=? for this cpu
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 05:46:59
1 On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 09:20:00AM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote
2 > I have two Gentoo VMs at Hetzner and the CPU supports 64 bit (grep lm
3 > /proc/cpuinfo = true).
4
5 Is "Hetzner" a remote hosting service? If so, ignore what I say
6 below, and ask them if their VMs support 64 bits. The part below is
7 applicable only if you built the VMs.
10 > End of search list.
11 > # 1 "<stdin>"
12 > <stdin>:1:0: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
13 >
14 > It is returning pentium-m as architecture, which indeed is 32bit. I'm
15 > presently running the VM with -march=core2, but this is very weird.
16
17 Is it possible that you built the qemu (or whatever) VM with only 32
18 bit support? Assuming you're using qemu, what is the output of...
19
20 emerge -pv qemu
21
22 If you're using a different VM, list the "emerge -pv" output for it.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications