From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] systemd very slow to compile?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 22:11:55
1 My very old and slow ~amd64 machine took 3 hours and 45-minutes to
2 compile systemd-226 today. I was curious to know why it was taking so
3 long to finish, so I used 'top' to see what was happening.
4
5 Turns out that two instances of 'sh' were each using 15-30% of CPU for
6 a total of 30-60% (the machine has two CPUs). cc1 never even showed up
7 in 'top' although the compiler was obviously compiling code because the
8 build did eventually finish.
9
10 I tried the same on a faster 4-core machine and I could see much the
11 same thing happening during the systemd build.
12
13 Can anyone else reproduce what I'm seeing? Is this 'normal'?