From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [ot General Textmode q]
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:01:10
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Wednesday 23 September 2009, Willie Wong wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:37:15PM -0500, Penguin Lover Harry Putnam
5 > squawked:
6 >> > Can any one tell me how to copy with mouse (really the left mouse
7 >> > button provided on the touchpad) but paste from keyboard while in text
8 >> > (console) mode? Or using the touch pad thing somehow. I've tried
9 >> > pressing both touchpad buttons at once to emulate middle mouse but it
10 >> > has no effect.
11 >>
12 >> In console the copy-paste is provided by GPM. And I thought GPM paste
13 >> is right mouse key, not middle key. And I am also pretty sure that GPM
14 >> does not do third button emulation the way X does.
15 >>
16 >> I think a possibility is that you have plugged in and used a mouse
17 >> with three buttons. This forced gpm into 3 button mode, so that the
18 >> middle button becomes paste and right button is extend selection. Then
19 >> you poor two-button touchpad has no more paste.
20 >>
21 >> To prevent that edit /etc/conf.d/gpm and add APPEND="-2" to force gpm
22 >> to stick with 2-button mode.
23 >
24 > I am not running gpm to test; have you tried the obvious 'Insert', or Shift+I,
25 > or Shift+Insert?
26
27 None of those do what I'm after here.
28 Someone answered that screen can do the kind of thing I talked about
29 ... and yet it can.