From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: linux-headers-3.5 with 3.4 kernel?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:12:40
1 On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:16:41 +0300
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Portage now installs sys-kernel/linux-headers-3.5.
5 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources is at 3.4.5.
6 >
7 > Is it even adviced to do that, installing 3.5 headers and running a
8 > 3.4 kernel? This sounds like a bad idea to me.
9
10 As I read the glibc faq, linux-headers are backwards-compatible as far
11 as glibc is concerned; that is, newer linux-headers still have
12 everything needed to make glibc work with older kernels. And I assume
13 that holds for other packages which need linux-headers, not just glibc.
14
15 Whether my understanding of why is correct or not, the glibc folks do
16 recommend using the latest linux-headers, even if your kernel is older.
17
18 <https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/documentation.html> links to
19 <http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/FAQ#What_version_of_the_Linux_kernel_headers_should_be_used.3F>.