From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 03:01:24
1 On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx> wrote:
2 > A good example of why I don't think they will be using git for portage:
3 > ``git clone https://git.kernel.org'
4 >
5 > This takes a very long time and a lot of bandwidth and a lot of space.
6 > Why move data that isn't going to be used? With rsync I believe you can
7 > exclude categories:
8 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Exclude_categories_from_emerge_sync
9
10 Anybody who wants to use rsync can still do so after the migration.
11
12 Git is a LOT faster at syncing than cvs, which is what we're all stuck
13 with right now.
14
15 The whole gentoo repository with history takes about 2GB, but we will
16 be separating history from the current tree so initially the
17 repository will be quite small.
18
19 For anybody who does want the history git is very efficient at
20 syncing. You would need to store the whole repository, but the
21 bandwidth needed for syncs is very low.
24 > If they were gonna do that with git every category would have to be a
25 > submodule. I could be wrong but I just want to believe it hasn't been
26 > made available despite being supported for a good reason.
27
28 There are a bunch of reasons that it hasn't happened. You can read
29 the tracker bug to get a sense of the past roadblocks. At this point
30 the biggest item left is getting the new infra set up, which is
31 underway.
34 Rich