From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: to install portage on other gentoo installs
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 18:03:36
1 On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:40:22 -0800, Edward M
2 <edwardm.gentoo.java@××××.com> wrote:
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > Been busy learning Linux :-) got new email other was getting crowded.
6 > I'm planing on installing Gentoo on a few systems and I was wondering
7 > to save bandwidth, i could install portage to the other Gentoo
8 > installs from my system instead downloading from mirrors?
9 >
10 > Thanks in advance!
11
12 Setting up a local rsync mirror for a portage tree is fairly simple,
13 you share the working tree at /usr/portage on a local server to
14 the network and make sure the server is up-to-date before syncing other
15 clients to it. This is documented in [1]. After setting up the mirror,
16 you only need to sync-uri in /etc/portage/repos.conf on the other
17 (local) clients. See portage(5)[2], section 'repos.conf' and
18 make.conf(5)[3], section 'SYNC' for details on client configuration.
19 Please *do* read those sections, as much of the information on the wiki
20 regarding the SYNC variable is outdated.
21
22 For sharing distfiles between hosts, a http server sharing the
23 distfiles folder and prepending the server's uri to GENTOO_MIRRORS in
24 make.conf[3] might be sufficient for your needs. If the installs are
25 not homogenous, you can even set up http servers on all of them, and
26 add all the other local hosts to GENTOO_MIRRORS.
27
28 You might want to skim through the FEATURES section in make.conf(5)[3]
29 for using local distfiles mirrors, as some of them can improve the
30 usefulness of the mirror significantly.
31
32 NFS is another possibility for both portage tree and distfiles and can
33 reduce total disk space needs, but it incurs significant network
34 latency which is especially noticeable for portage trees. I use it
35 myself for virtual machines, but would not suggest it for use over a
36 physical network. Also note that portage has PORTAGE_RO_DISTDIRS[3] as
37 an alternative to GENTOO_MIRRORS for eg. read-only *mounted* network
38 shares which may provide some extra flexibility.
39
40 1: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Rsync#Setting_up_your_own_local_rsync_mirror
41 2: https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/portage.5.html
42 3: https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/make.conf.5.html