From: Aniruddha <mailingdotlist@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Proper way of updating mysql from 5.0.90-r2 to 5.1.50?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 20:01:30
1 On Tuesday 31 August 2010 20:30:55 Mick wrote:
2 > > But this is apparently not the proper way, because after
3 > > restarting the server, apache does not show my web-page
4 > > reporting there is no such a database. I checked it with
5 > > phpmyadmin, and really, there is absolutely no database
6 > > in mysql!
7 > >
8 > > I quickly restored backup version which I have done just
9 > > before trying mysql-update, so my web-site is up and running.
10 > > Now I would like to update mysql the right way, I but do not
11 > > know how to do it...
12 >
13 > Hi Jarry,
14 >
15 > Some years ago I ran into some similar problem, I can't recall exactly
16 > what. Lost in folklore (wiki?) were some instructions to first stop mysql
17 > before you update it and I have been following them since.
18 >
19 > I stop apach & mysql, run the update, dispatch-conf and then restart them
20 > both. Haven't had problems since.
21 >
22 > There may be a better way for doing this - in which case others who know
23 > better will hopefully chime in.
24
25 I'm curious as well. Imo it shouldn't be necessary to stop mysql server for
26 each update.