From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: (dual) booting windows kills the ethernet device for linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:08:43
1 On 06/17/2010 03:33 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > I feel strange writing this since I can hardly believe it.
3 > However, it seems to be quite repeatable.
4 >
5 > I have a new dell latitude E6500 that I set up for dual booting:
6 > windows 7 and gentoo linux.
7 >
8 > The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
9 > windows has been run since power on.
10 >
11 > If you power the machine on it goes into what I call State A.
12 > Now if I either select linux from grub or just use the default we get
13 >
14 > linux boots and eth0 works
15 > reboot
16 > linux boots and eth0 works
17 > ...
18 > reboot
19 > linux boots and eth0 works
20 >
21 > but now reboot into windows and we get State B
22 > windows boots and eth0 works
23 > reboot to linux
24 > linux boots but eth0 fails
25 > reboot
26 > linux boots but eth0 fails
27 > ...
28 > reboot
29 > linux boots but eth0 fails.
30 >
31 > If I then power the machine off instead of simply rebooting
32 > we get back to State A
33 >
34 > power on
35 > linux boots and eth0 works
36 > reboot
37 > linux boots and eth0 works
38 >
39 > etc.
40 >
41 > This is quite repeatable. I would greatly appreciate an explanation.
42
43 The explanation is that the Windows driver leaves the hardware in a
44 state that the Linux driver doesn't expect. A warm reboot doesn't reset
45 it correctly. Only a cold one does. This is usually a bug in the Linux
46 driver. Might be worth reporting upstream.