From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Master list of all Overlays
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:27:50
1 Hello List,
2
3 Does 'Layman -L' yield a comprehensive list or does
4 it just poll from a subset of the different Overlay
5 from a select number of sites?
6
7 Does such a list exist that references (most) all
8 Overlay repositories and the Overlay ebuilds therein?
9
10 Are there sites that are known not to trust?
11
12 If 2 different repositories have different
13 (hacked ebuild) then where do you get
14 information as to which one you should use?
15 Sure testing them both is warranted, but maybe
16 there is a site where these Overlays are close
17 to becoming stable enough for inclusion in portage,
18 maybe a last stage clearing site or such?
19
20 Do some sites have standards and other sites
21 let anyone put up a development ebuild?
22
23 'layman -S'
24 Are the listings automatically refreshed or
25 do you (should you) issue one master command to sync (update)
26 all of the repositories or sync per each repository?
27
28 Just looking for some feedback on these non
29 official ebuilds, in a general sense. I have had
30 very different experiences with Overlays and was
31 wondering if I have missed some wisdom along the
32 way..?
35 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay#Listing_and_Adding_Overlays
36 Best reference on the subject?
37