From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ssmtp alternatives: msmtp vs. dma
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 05:30:17
1 I was setting up ssmtp but I realized it isn't being maintained and there
2 are a couple of alternatives called msmtp and dma. Can anyone recommend
3 one of these over the other?
4
5 I don't like how ssmtp stores the mail password in clear text in its config
6 file. It looks like msmtp can pull the password from gpg:
7
8 msmtp --passwordeval 'gpg -d mypwfile.gpg'
9
10 I don't have much experience with gpg. Does this mean I can store the mail
11 password encrypted on each of my systems so it can be used in an automated
12 fashion to get mail onto my mail server? Do I need to start gpg-agent and
13 enter a gpg keyring password whenever I reboot each of the systems?
14
15 Is this the best way to get email alerts from my various systems to my
16 email address?
17
18 - Grant