From: Rob <europa100@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] what is the best strategy for using sysklogd with iptables?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:40:01
1 Hi,
2
3 I am using sysklogd with iptables. I am wondering what the best
4 strategy is for sending iptables log output to a single file, rather
5 than having logged packets show up all over in /var/log/? I haven't
6 been able yet to figure this out by myself. I must be missing some doc
7 info somewhere.
8
9 Thank you. Rob.
10 ---------------------
11
12 Here is what I have now for syslog.conf:
13
14 # /etc/syslog.conf Configuration file for syslogd.
15 #
16 # For more information see syslog.conf(5)
17 # manpage.
18 # This is from Debian, we are using it for now
19 # Daniel Robbins, 5/15/99
20
21 #
22 # First some standard logfiles. Log by facility.
23 #
24
25 auth,authpriv.* /var/log/auth.log
26 *.*;auth,authpriv.none -/var/log/syslog
27 #cron.* /var/log/cron.log
28 daemon.* -/var/log/daemon.log
29 kern.* -/var/log/kern.log
30 lpr.* -/var/log/lpr.log
31 mail.* /var/log/mail.log
32 user.* -/var/log/user.log
33 uucp.* -/var/log/uucp.log
34 *.debug /var/log/firewall.log
35 #
36 # Logging for the mail system. Split it up so that
37 # it is easy to write scripts to parse these files.
38 #
39 #mail.info -/var/log/mail.info
40 #mail.warn -/var/log/mail.warn
41 #mail.err /var/log/mail.err
42
43 # Logging for INN news system
44 #
45 #news.crit /var/log/news/news.crit
46 #news.err /var/log/news/news.err
47 #news.notice -/var/log/news/news.notice
48
49 #
50 # Some `catch-all' logfiles.
51 #
52 *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
53 auth,authpriv.none;\
54 cron,daemon.none;\
55 mail,news.none -/var/log/messages
56
57 #
58 # Emergencies are sent to everybody logged in.
59 #
60 *.emerg *
61
62 #
63 # I like to have messages displayed on the console, but only on a virtual
64 # console I usually leave idle.
65 #
66 #daemon,mail.*;\
67 # news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
68 # *.=debug;*.=info;\
69 # *.=notice;*.=warn /dev/tty8
70
71 # The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the `xconsole' utility. To use it,
72 # you must invoke `xconsole' with the `-file' option:
73 #
74 # $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
75 #
76 # NOTE: adjust the list below, or you'll go crazy if you have a reasonably
77 # busy site..
78 #
79 #daemon.*,mail.*;\
80 # news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\