From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 22:28:40
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I finally got me a 3Tb drive on the way. Should be here Wednesday. I
6 >> have seen some reviews where it would not work right. I think some of
7 >> it may be BIOS related since some BIOS's don't like drives that large.
8 >> Anyway, I want to test this thing real good to really make sure it is up
9 >> to the task before putting my data on it. It's going to be so much
10 >> data, there is really no way to do back-ups at this point. Come on, 2
11 >> to 3Tbs on 4Gb DVDs. Really? lol Maybe a external drive later on but
12 >> for now, well.
13 >>
14 >> I have heard of bonnie and friends. I also think dd could do some
15 >> testing too. Is there any other way to give this a good work and see if
16 >> it holds up? Oh, helpful hints with Bonnie would be great too. I have
17 >> never used it before. Maybe someone has some test that is really brutal.
18 > I wouldn't want to torture the drive, but just make sure it works.
19 >
20 > What I do: boot parted magic liveCD, run ATA SECURE ERASE on the drive
21 > (you probably need to suspend and awaken your machine to unlock the
22 > drive, the GUI tool in the liveCD does this for you automatically),
23 > that will do factory reformat/low-level reformat, then run SMART full
24 > test which can take many hours. If it survives both of those, and
25 > doesn't make audible clicking noises in the process, I feel confident
26 > that it is in working order.
27 >
28 > Those steps are more important if I'm testing a used or refurbished
29 > drive, for a new drive you may want to skip the secure erase and only
30 > do the smart test. If SMART test passes then I don't think there's any
31 > reason to run badblocks, but you can have it run during mkfs if you
32 > want reassurance.
36 Well, I don't want to force it to fail just for the heck of it. I just
37 want to make sure it is not going to fail in the first few months of
38 use. The reviews that people have wrote that had problems were
39 generally either out of the box dead or failed after a few weeks or a
40 month or so. I figure if I can run tests that would be about a month or
41 so of use, then maybe I am OK. That is my goal. I just don't want to
42 get all my data on there and such and then have it go belly up.
43
44 I didn't know you could do low level formats anymore. Really? What
45 package provides that? Hmmm, I'm thinking about those HOURS spent
46 formatting a 100Mb drive and then thinking about how long it will take
47 to do a 3Tb drive. O_O I mean really O_O. LOL
48
49 Dale
50
52
53 P. S. It should be here tomorrow. UPS dropped it off at the post office
54 today.
57 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!