From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] good alternative to Firefox extension "Ghostery"
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:13:25
1 On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 07:14:59 +0100
2 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3
4 > Question is: Are there any other comparable good alternatives,
5 > which understand the term "privacy" as it is ?
6
7 Disconnect, <https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/disconnect/>,
8 uses the same basic idea as Ghostery, but Disconnect maintains its own
9 blocking lists.
10
11 There's also Firefox's built-in tracking protection, enabled by default
12 only in Private mode. It uses one of Disconnect's lists -- their
13 'basic' list by default, but you can change it to use their 'strict'
14 list. To enable it in normal, non-Private mode, go through
15 about:config and toggle privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to 'true'.
16 <https://support.mozilla.org/kb/tracking-protection-pbm>
17
18 AIUI, since the Disconnect extension and the built-in stuff use the
19 same lists, having both is redundant. I haven't used Ghostery in a
20 long time or the Disconnect extension, so I don't know how these things
21 compare feature-wise.