From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] HP Deskjet 3050 no output - no error
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:05:21
1 Hi list!
2
3 I could need some help here: I've bought an HP Deskjet 3050 USB
4 printer/scanner. Copying works but printing doesn't.
5
6 The first odd thing is that the HPLIP application (its qt4-frontend)
7 doesn't detect the device although dmesg shows a correct identification
8 on USB. However, the ordinary CUPS web interface allows me to configure
9 the printer. It is correctly detected there. Then I've selected the
10 default (and only) deskjet.ppd file.
11
12 My problem is: When I print, no error is shown but there is also no
13 output on the printer. There is no reaction at all. The logs are also clean.
14
15 I've tried the same thing with Ubuntu netbook edition. There the printer
16 was detected (by whatever GUI they use, I guess it was GNOME's). The
17 application then told me it had no compatible drivers. It had drivers
18 for a lot of similar HP deskjets and since I guess they all have the
19 basically same interface, I've chosen one of them. Again, there was no
20 reaction at all. CUPS seems to think the jobs finished successfully.
21
22 Can anyone give me a pointer to a solution? Do I need to configure the
23 printer in Windows before it reacts?
24
25 By the way: The device is reported to have "perfect" linux support in
26 the various printer databases ...
27
28 Thanks in advance!
29 Florian Philipp