From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Approx monthly hard lockups
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 21:40:46
1 On 5/12/21 10:35 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > May be off topic. I've been experiencing approximately monthly hard
3 > lockups on my machine. Dell Inspiron 3252 Shipped Feb 19th, 2016. Atom
4 > based machine with 8 gigs of ram.
5 >
6 > gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=
7 >
8 > ...tells me it's a "silvermont". I'm running bog standard 64-bit
9 > no-multilib Gentoo, a bit on the lean side. By "hard lockup" I mean...
10 >
11 > * {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL} won't reboot
12 > * Magic SysRq won't reboot
13 > * The Power button powers down, but is unable to reboot (there's a light
14 > inside the case that stays on)
15 Is that a short press or long press (at least six seconds?) on the power
16 button.  Short push should send the power down signal to the OS, but
17 long push should actually cut power.
18 > * I have to flip off the power bar, wait, flip power bar back on, and
19 > press the power button
20 >
21 > Are there any utilities I can use to possibly diagnose the problem?
22 > Let's just say, I'm now somewhat fanatical about backups every couple of
23 > days.