From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE 4.1...
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 00:58:22
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:
4 > I want to apologise if I ever bashed you.
5
6 Nope and it does not matter, I never remember those things anyway.
7
8 > > AMD (and now ATI) rules..... methinks
9
10 > their binary drivers are so-so. But their open source driver initiative is
11 > great.
12
13 If you follow AMD, they 'get it'. I have had high hopes for ATI once AMD
14 took over. Patiences is difficult, but, I believe that AMD (ATI)
15 will do the Linux community right, particularly if they want
16 to keep selling hardware to us when Intel has a (current) technical
17 advantage.
20 Intel is the other sleeper. With the best physics (smallest processes)
21 it's only a matter of time before they have a graphic chip, that can be
22 put on the same substrate as the CPU and they'll be competitive,
23 particularly from a price point perspective.
24
25 The real battle is who's GPU becomes the easiest processor to use with the
26 cisc/risc processors as a generic part of the OS.
27
28 We'll just have to wait on this, but, my money is on AMD, because
29 they're more likely to do something cool for the greater Linux
30 community than Intel, imho.
31
32 Nvidia, without a CPU partner, is dying on the vine, as we speak.
33 Look for their stock to plung, if they do not find a (CPU) company to
34 buy and soon. They should have picked up the PPC before Apple ditched
35 it for Intel, imho.
36
37 cheers!
38 James