From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Eez a byootiful dai todai
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:29:21
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:20:27 -0500, »Q« wrote:
2
3 > > 1) You know that all the hardware works with Linux. If they supply
4 > > driver for Ubuntu, you can get them for Gentoo (unless Dell do
5 > > something horrid like using ndiswrapper)
6 >
7 > Already I know that the hardware I buy will work with Gentoo. If I got
8 > a Dell with preinstalled GNU/Linux, I could know that without engaging
9 > $searchengine, but avoiding searches isn't important to me.
10
11 That's all but impossible with a laptop, unless the shop lets you boot it
12 with a live CD before you buy, because manufacturers change chipsets
13 without changing the model name.
14
15 > > 2) You don't have to pay for a Windows licence.
16 >
17 > Already I don't have to pay for a Windows license.
18
19 It is very difficult to buy a laptop without one. This is a non-issue for
20 desktops, where you can build your own using known components, but it is
21 a good step for those needing laptops, or for companies that want
22 warrantied pre-built hardware.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 WinErr 002: No Error - Yet