From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Creating accounts in Thunderbird
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:43:25
1 On 02/03/2013 03:51 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > How do I get Thunderbird to act like software and not assume it knows
3 > better than I do?
4
5 Same way you get your wife to do what you want :)
6
7 The confusing part about thunderbird account creation is that there's
8 more than one way to create a new account, and they are not equivalent,
9 not by a country kilometer (yes, I consider that bug, or maybe a very
10 stupid feature).
11
12 F'rinstance, how do you create a new nntp account? IIRC you can't if
13 you're using tbird for the first time. I think the only way to do it
14 is *after* you've already set up a working email account, then click
15 on Edit::Account Settings and look all the way to the bottom of the
16 list box on the left to the button marked "Account Actions".
17
18 I'm no longer using the gentoo ebuild for thunderbird; instead I'm using
19 the beta-test builds from ftp.mozilla.org. (Hm, now that I stop to think
20 about why I do that, I realize that it's a really dumb thing to do because
21 I gave up filing thunderbird bug reports about two years ago because none
22 of my bugs ever got fixed.)
23
24 So, I dunno if I've helped you but you've convinced me to go back to using
25 thunderbird-stable.
26
27 Thanks Alan!