From: "Kacper Kopczyński" <capsel@××××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM on LUKS
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 11:29:38
1 Dnia 2010-08-07, o godz. 11:48:34
2 Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> napisał(a):
3
4 > Hi list!
5 >
6 > I'm building a new Gentoo system (notebook) and want to rearrange a
7 > few things. I thought it would be good to have the following layout:
8 >
9 > - boot on a normal partition
10 > - root on a normal partition
11 > - one big encrypted partition (dmcrypt / LUKS)
12 > - on that partition an LVM volume group
13 > - on that volume group all stuff not necessary for booting: home,
14 > var, tmp, etc.
15 >
16 > AFAIK, the Gentoo boot process is organized so that LVM gets stated
17 > before dmcrypt is started. I would need it vice versa.
18 >
19 > Is that possible with baselayout-1? Do I need to switch to
20 > baselayout-2?
21 >
22 > Thanks in advance!
23 > Florian Philipp
26 I've made my own initramfs to boot.
27
28 /boot is a separate partition with ext2, grub, bzImage and
29 initramfs
30 / is ext4 on logical volume on encrypted container
31 [ext4:lvm:luks:sda2]
32 swap is on another logical volume, next to /
33
34 I used two links as hints to build it:
35 http://jootamam.net/howto-initramfs-image.htm
36 http://jootamam.net/howto-basic-cryptsetup.htm
37
38 It's important to have all libraries copied to initramfs or to make all
39 binaries static (ldd). Some time ago I had dropbear in initramfs to
40 help booting headless server. Watch out for pivot_root restriction of
41 PID == 1.
44 Kacper Kopczyński