From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading the kernel
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:12:22
1 On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:22:07 +0800, Jed R. Mallen wrote:
2
3 > I don't really need the config files. As I've said I've been doing the
4 > make oldconfig way before and I'm just wondering with the change of
5 > kernel versions if this is still "safe" in any way. Thanks.
6
7 Yes it is. I've recycled my config files since 2.6.verysmallnumber with
8 only one problem on one machine, the change of the SATA drivers. It
9 shouldn't be used to change major revisions, say 2.4 to 2.6, and may
10 cause problems with a large jump in minor revisions (but then such an
11 upgrade is going to involve more work when you do it manually too).
12
13 As long as you keep a copy of your old kernel (make install does this
14 automatically) you won't suffer if you do break the kernel. In some ways,
15 the kernel is the easiest package to update, because it does not replace
16 the previous version.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Committee (noun): A group of people spending hours taking minutes