From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why do we add the local host name to the 127.0.0.1 / ::1 entry in the /etc/hosts file?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:56:57
1 On 10/03/21 18:37, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > ACK
3 >
4 > By default, Kerberos includes IP restrictions in tickets. It chooses
5 > the IP based on what the system returns. So if the system returns
6 > 127.0.0.1 (or ::1) for the hostname, any tickets that use that IP will
7 > be non-viable / useless anywhere but localhost.
8
9 Could it be (I don't use Kerberos) this tricks Kerberos into associating
10 127.0.0.1 with your FQDN, so it works for the first person to request
11 it, and then breaks for everyone else?
12
13 Also, bear in mind I think in certain setups /etc/hosts is redundant.
14 Don't you specify somewhere a list of services to use to look up
15 computer names, and if /etc/hosts is missing/disabled in that list, it
16 gets ignored?
17
18 Cheers,
19 Wol