From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't get a DVD to burn.
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:04:07
1 stosss wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:19:02 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>> I also tried to burn this with tkdvd but it failed too. I don't think
8 >>> the media is bad. It doesn't appear to be k3b since the other program
9 >>> fails too. I also updated to the latest testing but no
10 >>> difference that I can see. It does sometimes burn and sometimes if I
11 >>> try again it will burn but it's not getting any better.
12 >>>
13 >> K3b is running mkisofs and growisofs at the same time, hence the mixed up
14 >> debug output making it hard to see where the error is coming from. Take
15 >> the media, drive and growisofs out of the equation by getting K3b to
16 >> create an ISO image instead. If that works, write the image to disc with
17 >>
18 >> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/file.iso
19 >>
20 >> At least you'll have a better idea where the problem lies.
21 >>
22 > I once had a problem just like this and it turned out to be bad media.
23 > The generic cheap priced discs don't always work. The more expensive
24 > name brand generally are better because most, if not all of them,
25 > work.
29 I doubt it is the media. I have been using the same brand, Verbatim,
30 for ages and never had a failure. It's even coming from the same box
31 and is media that I have used for a previous backup with no issues.
32 Each time I have problems burning a DVD, it is something software. I
33 stay away from the really cheap junk. I learned that from the problems
34 people on this list have reported.
35
36 While it could be possible, it's not likely.
37
38 Dale
39