From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage: error scanning <directory>/
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:19:10
1 On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:16:34 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > You get a speed hit every time you run emerge, I get it once, where
5 > the computer syncs, which is handled by a cron task anyway.
6
7 It's true, it's a little slower for me and a few gigs more wasted space
8 (depending on the number of computers) for you. A fair trade-off,
9 either way.
10 > It also means I can speed up portage further by using ext2 on a
11 > sparse file
12
13 FWIW, I can do this on the server. Or I can use a Reiser partition
14 with a small (1024) block size.
15
16 just out of curiosity, would you be interested in running a benchmark
17 to see how my reiser partition (it would be on the server, local)
18 compared to your sparsefiled ext2?
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list