From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 05:23:11
1 On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:37:52PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote
2
3 > I haven't read any horror stories re Reiser 3 ,
4 > which I've been using for 10 years without any problem ever.
5 > Reiser 4 was stalling even before its creator's legal problems
6 > & seems unlikely to get kernel support,
7 > but Reiser 3 is still being developed & is probably simply mature.
8 >
9 > > This will be my biggest main hard drive yet (1 terabyte),
10 > > so I'm considering EXT3 for the main partition.
11 >
12 > Reiser is supposed to be good for large numbers of small files,
13 > so partly it will depend on just what you plan to use the space for.
14
15 I have mix of various sizes. The best feature about ReiserFS is that
16 it doesn't do inodes, so I don't have to be psychic about my future file
17 mix when I format the partition. For that reason alone, I'm tempted to
18 stay with ReiserFS3. I'm aware of the booby traps...
19
20 - *NEVER EVER* have an uncompressed ReiserFS image on a ReiserFS
21 partition
22
23 - avoid Postfix and Qmail
24
25 And I expect it to continue running OK.
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications