From: Bob Young <RKY@×××××.Net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Why you use Gentoo
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 00:55:09
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Colleen Beamer [mailto:colleen.beamer@×××××.com]
3 Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 4:34 PM
4 To: chriswhite@g.o; gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why you use Gentoo
6
7 Chris White wrote:
8 > So, wondering why people use Gentoo. Put [dev] or something if you're
9 an
10 > actual gentoo dev and [user] if you're a user. Doesn't need to be
11 fancy, you
12 > can put "community" or something if that's all you want. All
14 > list please. Thanks.
15
16 [user]
17
18 I'm not, but I *could* be a grandmother, so I guess I'm not the average
19 user. I was first exposed to Gentoo when someone I know was touting the
20 control that it gave you. I *hate* Gnome (sorry, don't mean to insult
21 any Gnome users - it's just a personal opinion). The bloat of having to
22 have two desktops on my system drove me nuts when I was using Redhat and
23 then, Fedora. So, like others, control is a *big* plus - I can install
24 only what I want!
25
26 Nothing I can really disagree with. I *am* a grandfather, and have been
27 a hardware/firmware engineer for 15 years.
28
29 I've tried RedHat, SuSe, never could get past old Debian annoying text
30 scripts that just got in the way of what was really important, long live
31 Linux. Gentoo gets down to the technical details of actually installing
32 a new OS as anything in the Linux World...period.
33
34 Cheers.
38 BYoung_AT_Debug1.Com Dual 2.0GHz AMD Opteron...cheers (dual boot 32bit
39 Windows, 64bit Gentoo)
40
41 ****** Quote: *******************************************************
44 Portage - in my opinion, it is the best package manager in Linux, bar
45 none.
46
47 Documentation - Bar none, Gentoo has the best and most easily understood
48 online documentation
49
50 This list - I've always been able to turn to the list when I needed
51 help, (Thanks guys!)
52
53 Sorry, I know this is long, but there are just too many reasons why I
54 use Gentoo and why I will stick with it! :-)
55
56 Take care,
57
58 Colleen