From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Photo management programs
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 13:49:45
1 * Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> [120304 15:12]:
2 > So I take a lot of pictures. A *lot* of pictures. Sometimes around
3 > 500/month, sometimes twice that if I manage to get out more. I've got
4 > a large number of 'DCIM' directories from different cameras, different
5 > camera models, etc, going back ten years. Sometimes in JPG, sometimes
6 > RAW, sometimes both.
7 >
8 > And I've never really managed them well.
9 >
10 > Does anyone have any photo management tool they like? I've got bits of
11 > Qt and Gtk installed already, and while I'd prefer to avoid pulling in
12 > a full desktop environment, I might--if the tool is good enough. It
13 > would have to:
14 >
15 > * Handle RAW (via libraw or dcraw is fine), JPEG, PNG[1] and TIFF[1]
16 > content and metadata
17 > * Index by metadata, including things like the recording camera's
18 > serial number[2]
19 > * Not be destructive, or ambiguous about being destructive, on image
20 > import. I tried using Amarok to organize my music, which is in similar
21 > disarray, and I was never sure if it was being destructive about the
22 > source files/folders. So I made copies. Which ultimately added to the
23 > disarray.
26 > [1] My postprocessing occasionally winds up in lossless formats like these.
27 > [2] My fiancee and I have the same model camera, and occasionally need
28 > to share memory cards, so I'd like to be able to use serial number to
29 > distinguish whose is whose.
30 >
31 > --
32 > :wq
33
34 I like Digikam a lot.
35
36 There's some rough edges, but part of that is because a lot of
37 development is being done all the time on it with lots of new features
38 added. Obviously sticking to a non-bleeding edge build would reduce
39 that a lot.
40
41 The developers are all quite responsive and the Gentoo packager
42 (Andreas) is very active too.
43
44 I run it from the command line without KDE running though it's a KDE app
45 (so you'll have to pull in bits of KDE.)
46
47 Try it though. It may not be the kind of managing you're looking for
48 (though I think it can do everything you've mentioned above with a
49 recent enough version.)
50
51 Todd