From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 20:53:14
1 On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > And as I understand it the code can be disabled with either a compile
4 > time option or command line switch to the kernel.
5
6 I suspect the compile-time option is PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION (which was
7 newly added in 4.14.11). The command line option nopti will disable
8 it at runtime.
9
10 Rumor has it that it will be disabled on AMD CPUs in 4.14.12, but I
11 can't point to anywhere authoritative for that news so I'd consider it
12 a rumor. I've also heard that Arch has deployed it early to 4.14.11,
13 and I wouldn't be surprised if many distros do this if it is intended
14 to go into the next stable, as there would be no point subjecting AMD
15 users to performance issues. I haven't spoken to the Gentoo kernel
16 team about what their plans are for it. In any case, nopti on the
17 command line is probably the cleanest solution. I personally avoided
18 disabling the feature in the compiled kernel because I don't want to
19 be using the same config file on an Intel CPU in a year or two and
20 forget I have it forced off.
21
22 > The relevant code is
23 > called KAISER, which forces kernel and user address space into different
24 > contexts, and causes a nasty context-switching overhead on both Intel
25 > and AMD cpus.
28 I believe the kernel went with "Page Table Isolation (PTI)" rather
29 that KAISER, probably to avoid ethnic issues. Apparently this was
30 deemed to have a more acceptable acronym than Forcefully Unmap
31 Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines.
34 Rich